Gator Gazette

• May 6Last Friday, 8th graders went on their trip to Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. Hope you all had a wonderful time!

Becoming a Published Author and Dealing with Writer’s Block- Here’s How to do it.

Back to Article
Back to Article

My published book.

My published book.

My published book.

My published book.

Yelaine Aguilar, Arts and Entertainment Writer

In our busy world, writing and language are things used every day. While not all of us are professional authors or love using words, it’s practically inevitable not to in this day and age.

How many times do you pick up a pencil, use a keyboard, or add to an essay you’re writing for school, or personal preference? And how many times do you get stuck?

Probably a lot.

The point is, writing can be strenuous and tiring sometimes, but the product is what matters. What comes out of the hard work put in will be something to be proud of, and what led me to publish my first work.

So here are some tips on writing, getting published, and staying on track with your work.

Getting Started

For me, getting started is probably the easiest part of the writing process. I am filled with so many ideas that the words just flow out of me and onto paper. But for some, it isn’t so easy. And it is especially hard to keep going. Here’s how to get started and even avoid getting stuck.

Firstly…

Use your imagination. There’s no issue with thinking outside of the box, especially when it comes to writing a novel. With creativity, so much can be done. For example, when I find myself in a situation when I can’t think of a good word for what I am trying to explain or describe, creativity always comes to my aid. Expanding horizons never did anyone any harm.

Another thing many people overlook…

Their resources. We live in a day and age where research comes to us in a way like never before. So much information at our fingertips- it’s right there for us. If you’re writing about a city or place you’re not sure of, the web is always there for you. The internet is a great place to look and research, and input that into your writing.  The more knowledge to back up your writing, usually the better it can be. However, this doesn’t mean EVERY single piece of your story needs to be backed up with evidence unless it’s a nonfiction piece. It’s okay to make some stuff up, too.

Think about what you’re writing, and in what direction you want to go.

When writing, especially if it is a novel, it is imperative to think of your purpose before you even start. You don’t need to have an elaborate plot completely crafted, and I know my stories aren’t planned till the end when I start. Still, it is great to at least have lenient guidelines on where you want to go, what your purpose for writing is, what genre you want to write (do you like fantasy or fiction? Or perhaps mystery?) and who your target audience is. (Is your novel for young adults or young children?)

Probably the Hardest Part- Staying on Track with Your Work

This is something a lot of people struggle with. As a published author, I know the struggle. Writer’s block comes to me as naturally as breathing. Most people probably think it should be the other way around- If you like writing, shouldn’t writing come naturally instead of Writer’s block (or struggling with writing)?  It’s a pretty valid point.

Those who don’t like writing should generally struggle more, but I like it- and I struggle too. Every day, I feel like words aren’t enough to explain what I’m thinking or feeling, or like I can’t write more or something in fear of my work coming out unsatisfactory.  

Writing for long periods of time can sometimes get me to question what I’m writing, and when I look at it with fresh eyes the next day, I sometimes think to myself, “Wow, that’s great!” or “Wow, that sucks.” So it is always important to write a bit each day, every day looking at your writing like its fresh and new. It usually doesn’t get tiring and leads you to form a commitment to what you’re doing. Soon enough, just writing paragraph by paragraph, a novel can form before your eyes.

If you don’t feel like writing that day, you can just add it to the next day. (For example, if you commit yourself to writing a paragraph a day, you can write two paragraphs the next day.) It’s important to not stress over your work because the writing process just becomes less enjoyable.

Now to the Best Part… Getting Published!

As for getting published, there are different ways to do it. The way I did it for my first book, I searched up local publishers and contacted one that interested me. They got back to me and we started the publishing process.

We discussed prices (it is expensive to publish a book!) and firstly, started editing. The publisher’s editor sent back the edited chapters to me in emails, and I would open them up and revise them. Then, the chapter would be sent back, and we’d go back and forth for a while.

Afterward, the manuscript (whole document) was printed and sent to me. Once I reviewed that, I had another meeting with the publishing team and discussed with the graphic designer the cover options for my book.

When that was all done, it was off to publishing and printing! My publisher let me know when the books were printed and it was put on Amazon.

However, the way most people do it when they seek to publish a book is finding an agent to represent them. This agent contacts publishing agencies for you and you either get accepted or rejected. This is a much easier and direct way to get to the ‘big guys’ fast.

When you’re starting out though, it’s great to start small and experiment first. That way, you get prior experience before going big.

It all depends on you, though.