Gator Gazette

• May 6Last Friday, 8th graders went on their trip to Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. Hope you all had a wonderful time!

What is the Perfect Weather?

Back to Article
Back to Article

What is the Perfect Weather?

Angelina Pribyl, OPinion Writer

Especially since we live in Florida where the weather is very different from the rest of the world, people can have a variety of different opinions on their preferences of the weather.

First of all, a hot climate. There are a couple of good things about a hot climate, one being that you don’t have to worry much about what you are going to wear because being too cold isn’t really a problem. You don’t have to wear layers and layers of clothing, which can be annoying. Also, there are certain activities that are more enjoyable to do when it is warm outside. For example, eating ice cream, going to the pool, going to the beach or a water park, and getting a tan. If you live in a place where the seasons don’t really exist, like Florida, you don’t have to do chores like rake leaves in the Fall, or shovel snow in the Winter.

However, there are some negative effects of hot weather. One of them is that you need an air conditioner. It may seem weird to someone who has lived in Florida their entire life, but most people who live up north don’t use their air conditioners that much. To add, you can’t really sit outside and feel cozy in a giant blanket while drinking a cup of hot chocolate, that is unless your idea of comfort and relaxation involves sweat dripping down your back. Another really annoying thing about a hot climate is that the car seats get super hot. Beware if you are wearing shorts and coming back to your parked car in the summer! Also, there is more of a chance for sunburn in the hot weather and you have to worry more about wearing sunscreen. And of course, there is that problem of sweating all the time which makes you feel gross and uncomfortable.

Now we can finally talk about cold weather. Initially, as I mentioned in the earlier paragraph, you can wrap up in soft blankets and enjoy hot drinks without being uncomfortable. This also goes along with being able to wear cozier clothing such as warm sweaters, fuzzy socks, and boots. Also, in cold weather you have snow! Personally, I have never seen snow, which is surprising to some people. You can have fun in snow playing games or you can just sit and take in the beauty of Winter. Additionally, cold weather can be a relief when you are tired of being hot all the time. I know when the cooler temperatures come around, I feel refreshed.

On the other hand, cold weather does have its downfalls. For one thing, a cold climate usually comes with dryer air. Sometimes the cool winds can irritate people’s throats when it is Winter. Secondly, if you live in a place where it gets super cold, you have to wear more layers, which can be uncomfortable and annoying. You would also have to buy these extra clothes and spend more money on thicker, heavier clothing. Plus, you have to do tasks like shoveling snow. Also, it is more common for people to use their heaters in cold climates. You do not usually see many Floridians using heaters throughout the year.

All in all, whichever weather you prefer is based on what experiences you have had in your life. If you have lived in warmer climates most of your life, you will probably favor that type of weather and vise versa. As you can clearly see, warmer weather and cooler weather both have many advantages and disadvantages. But different people may see these different facts as opposed to how I see them. It really depends on each person and their personal experiences, to decide what the perfect weather really is.