Do School Trips Really Live Up to the Hype?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rylee Bleakley, Opinion Writer

With the eighth-grade trip Universal Studios coming up, there is a lot of excited talk. The past two years we have watched the eighth graders come to school all excited about the trip they have later that day. For most of us, the end of the year trip is something we look forward to all year. But do they really live up to all the hype?

Between the charter buses and the ability to roam without chaperones, our school trips here at Landings sound pretty good. There are, however, people who say that these trips are not all that great. Some complain about the rules on the buses. Like how boys sit in the front with girls in the back, or how there is no eating or drinking allowed. While we can be upset about these rules, there is a reason for them, so they don’t ruin the trip for the majority of us.

Another thing that upsets some students are the shirts we have to wear. While we understand that some people spent a lot of time designing the shirts, there are not always appealing to all students. Some of us just wish that we could wear our own shirts. The code on the bottoms is pretty relaxed, which a lot of us like. We are able to wear leggings and shorts, things we are not allowed to wear in school.

At the end of the day, whether or not school trips live up to the hype depends on the person. If you are someone easily swayed by the littlest of things, then you probably get annoyed with some of the rules we must follow. However, if you can look at the big picture, then you are more than likely to have a good time on the school trips we have here at Landings.