Gator Gazette

• May 6Last Friday, 8th graders went on their trip to Islands of Adventure and Universal Studios. Hope you all had a wonderful time!

Marvel vs DC: Which Universe is better?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Marvel vs DC: Which Universe is better?

Victoria Daley, Feature Editor

Marvel and DC. Probably two of the most well-known superhero Universes. People all have their opinions on which is the best universe. Is there really an answer?

In DC, most characters are beings with the power of gods. For example, Superman is a super powerful Kryptonian right at birth. Green Lantern is a normal human being, but he is suddenly gifted with a super powerful ring. The Flash is a scientist who is unexpectedly granted with extreme speed and thinking. Wonder Woman is the daughter of Zeus who has the power of the God of War, “Ares”. Aquaman who is a man who “naturally” has the power of the ocean, and later on becomes king of Atlantis.

Marvel characters feel more realistic than DC’s characters. Captain America is a normal guy enlisted in a super-soldier program and eventually became a superhuman. Iron Man is a rich scientist that becomes a powerful hero with his suits. The Hulk is a scientist who was exposed to gamma rays, resulting in him becoming a green, raging giant. DC Comics mostly focuses on characters representing gods and other mythical beings. Superman is “Son of God” who protects mankind. Wonder Woman is the daughter of Zeus, ruler of Olympia Pantheon in Greek mythology. Aquaman is like a representation of an oceanic force. (Poseidon) And of course, Shazam – a mortal but received the power of Olympia.

Marvel promotes the power of mankind. Most of Marvel superheroes are all mortal, yet they thrive. They learn their power to protect Earth and themselves. Captain America was a soldier fighting in WWII, and later on a symbol of America and a protector of the Earth. Tony Stark is a billionaire, genius scientist who invented remarkable Iron Man suits. Bruce Banner is a scientist affected by gamma rays and becomes The Hulk. He gradually learned to control his power and become a powerful protector of Earth.

Marvel characters generally have to struggle more with their daily life and society than DC Comics characters. DC Comics takes place in more fantasy locations than Marvel. Marvel just uses real-life cities like New York, Washington D.C. Marvel has a funnier tone than DC. Often the time, Marvel movies and films have funnier events. Like in recent movies like The Avengers or Guardians of the Galaxy. On the other hand, DC Comics brings out a more serious theme throughout the movies. In recent movies like Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Although some people may think Marvel is more popular than DC in general, that still doesn’t mean Marvel is better or superior than DC. Each Universe is cool in their own way. The question of which Universe is better all comes down to preference.