What Other Schools are Doing for Start with Hello

Back to Article
Back to Article

Natalia Ayala, Feature Writer

The Sandy Hook Promise is to prevent gun violence and other forms of violence from reaching the public. To help contribute to this Sandy Hook has started a program called Say Hello!  Say Hello is meant to help raise awareness about social isolation. Schools are teaching kids about making a difference in a simple, and interactive way. Each school is doing something unique to help teach their students about this plan of action. At Overlook Elementary they had an orientation where they showed videos such as how to use the buddy bench and how to identify if a student is lonely or isolated than others.  Copper Beech, Roslyn, and McKinley elementary school participate in something called Hey Day. This is where students wear a tag with their name on it and every student is challenged to say hello to at least three new people. The students need to follow this order of directions to let the person count as one of their three. “Hello, Their name, and a smile” This basically means that students need to present themselves by saying a friendly hello stating their name and smiling. At Willow Hill Elementary School they are having their own “Give a smile day” This is where at the beginning of the day teachers will give students printed smiley faces. After this student are instructed to give the smiley faces to anyone they make smile or anyone who makes them smile.  Every school is doing unique and different to help Sandy Hook achieve their goal.