The Future of Education Post COVID-1

By Jaykob Facella

The recent pandemic has had a significant effect on school structure and activity, but it doesn’t just affect students it also affects teachers.  Teachers have been teaching from the confines of their homes in virtual classrooms, having to adapt from centuries old schooling structures. After all of this, what will the future hold for teaching?  

As the epidemic has spread there has been a collapse in the school system that has been running one way for decades.  A large issue that schools are facing is that they are understaffed with educators,  teachers can not complete their in person practicum and, as recent research uncovered, aspiring teachers are unable to start their careers.  As older teachers are retiring and others leave, without incoming teachers there will be no replenishment of the school systems.

While there are enough teachers to fill in demand, problems will arise from knowledge or experience in subject matter of courses.  There would also be problems with supply of teachers because of geographical issues, research has found there are 3.7 million teachers qualified for the position but are not in the area of need.  Due to this fact, the education system will not retain its normal strength and capacity.

As a result of the pandemic, many of the standardized tests have been canceled.  One of the most important ones, the SAT and ACT,  with these being canceled college admissions have lost one of their main ways to judge a student’s academic strength.  Knowing the colleges need these tests to recruit a large amount of their students,  taking away these tests not only reduces the strength of the school but also stops the flow of the schools main source of income.  

Due to the fact that the SAT and ACT colleges are beginning to stop their requirement of taking these standardized tests.  Colleges like Case Western Reserve University have already implemented this exception.  This exception will help keep incoming students to schools like Case Western Reserve University  making it easier for students to get accepted into better schools and jobs.  The way we learn and teach may never be the same but education is still continuing without delay.