The following writings are flash writing segments submitted to the Gator Gazette by Wellington Landings Students, following the prompt, “She found a key in a drawer.”

The following writings are flash writing segments submitted to the Gator Gazette by Wellington Landings Students, following the prompt,  “She found a key in a drawer.”

Lorelei Kelley, Features writer

Ms. Bennett found a key in a drawer, it was tiny and odd. She didn’t know what it was for so she walked all around her school. Ms. Bennett finally found a door that she could use the key to open. The door was very black and there was no window, as she unlocked it there was a burst of light shining through the door. Ms. Bennett was amazed at the sight, when she entered the room she heard a voice calling through the light. As she followed the voice she walked out the other end of the room and ended up at Dreyfoos High School. Ms.Bennet was so excited, she was at her dream job! When she entered the school, all of the students were so nice and they all respected having a new principal. She was going throughout the day at the school and was thinking about all of her middle schoolers. At the end of the High school day she wanted to get back to her middle school, but she realized that she left the key in the room and she couldn’t get back. Ms. Bennett was really upset but also happy because she was about to start a new beginning.

-Allison Mentzer

A girl was going on a road trip. She was ready to go but she couldn’t find her keys. She went back inside to look for it, but it wasn’t in any of it’s normal spots. Then she comes upon a draw that she doesn’t remember having. She opens it and finds that it’s empty except for one single key. The girl was in a rush so she didn’t realize that it wasn’t the right one. She picked it up and went to leave but when she touched it a door appeared on the wall. She tried to open it but it was locked. That’s when she realized that the key was for that door. The girl was very curious so she unlocked the door and stepped in. What she saw was magical. She wanted to never leave. And she didn’t. She left a note for loved ones saying that she was going somewhere better than Earth, and left. This had only happened to a few other people. And for the people who did see it were always entranced by it’s magic.

-Analise Lopez-Merlos

One day Belle was walking around her house looking for her car keys, she opened her drawer in her desk, she found a key in her drawer. She has never seen this before, “Why is it here now” she asks herself. While looking around she remembered seeing a little keyhole somewhere. She grabs the key and heads off to unlock the key. She opens it up and notices that it’s a library and there’s one book on the ground,  she picks it up and starts to read it. She got so immersed in the story she ended up not going to the place she needed to go! At the end of the time she was done it was time for her to go to sleep. So she put the book on the shelf and locked up the library. Then she put the key back in the drawer she found it in…

-Delanie Ratcliff

Mrs. Bennett was just about to leave the office she had been working at for so long, when she spotted a key on her desk. It was a small, gold key, like the size of a house key. It wasn’t there when she was loading her car with her stuff, so she wondered who could have put the key on her desk. She went to Student Services and asked around the faculty who put the mystery key on her desk. She got the same response from everyone, ¨Wasn´t me!¨ Mrs. Bennett was determined to find out who put this mysterious key on her desk, and what it would unlock. When she returned to her office, she noticed a slip of paper, with an address written on it. She was scared, but also intrigued to find out what this address meant and why she was being summoned. When she arrived at the house, she put the key into the keyhole. It was a perfect fit. She turned the knob, and to her delight, she found the 8th grade class of 2021 waiting inside for her. They were throwing a surprise party for the beloved principal. Mrs. Bennett was so happy that she was at a loss for words.

-Victoria Payne

Once upon a time, Mrs. Bennett found a key inside a drawer when she was cleaning her drawer. She suspected that it was a custodian key, but then she realized it looked nothing like a regular Janitor key. After a little while she looks around the schools and notices something she never realized before. A secret locker in the back corner of the hundred buildings. She then proceeds to open the locker with the key and falls into the locker. She then looked around and entered a secret room in the school! As she walks through she finds toys, devices, and candy scattered all around the place, and she then continues down the hall. After reaching

the end she notices a little crack in the wall. She proceeds to walk through and fines… a brief case. She suspects that there is candy and then opens the briefcase to find 10,000 dollars. 

-Carter Kassis

Ughhh. I hate this new house. It smells like mildew and old socks. I start walking around. I am sooo hungry. I want to ask my mom if we can go get something to eat, but she thinks I complain too much. ever since dad died, we have been experiencing a lot of change. I go up to my room, my old dirty, smelly, room. I start opening closets and drawers. I am about to walk out when I see a jewelry box with lots of tiny drawers. I go towards it like it’s pulling me in. I open one of the tiny drawers. And there is this one key,

-Madison Martinez

After hours of searching for the mythical key, she finally found it.. in a drawer. Does she know what it unlocks? No. So, she threw the key outside her window into a tree with disappointment.  All of a sudden, she notices a yellow glow on her bedroom wall coming from the window. A tree falls over and a massive hole grows under it. Because she wants to postpone preparing for 3 essays and 2 tests due tomorrow, she mindlessly walks into the enormous hole. Inside, she finds a chest. She thought that the key was for the chest, but the key is deep inside the bark of the tree. She climbs up and grabs the key. When she unlocks the chest, her jaw dropped. The world felt like it froze. Inside, she gazed at the loot from the chest.. It’s a homework pass! She grabs the homework pass with joy, but then she freezes. All of a sudden, a rock flies at her but misses. She shrugs, and sighs in joy of the loot that was discovered. She hears a scream behind her, but she knows that whatever is there, it can’t harm her with accuracy like that. The End.

-Ethan Guest

She found a key in her drawer and told the messenger snail to bring it to the diamond mines of potato, for there she could sell it for 100,000,000,000,000 chips of strawberries, the currency of the land at the time. At the mines, the messenger snail got interrupted by a random person, the leader of the grapes, who thought it was a recipe for dried bananas. After seeing it was just a key he tossed it into a river, where it washed back to the drawer, the person who found it walked fast to the mines of potato and sold it. She then flew to the fields of breadfruit where she became a farmer with the messenger snail.

-Gavin Ferreira

She found a key in a drawer it was a key she had never seen a key like it before, so it was strange that it was there. Suddenly, she heard a strange noise coming from the window, but she noticed it was just a  tree rustling on the window. She went to her car and went to the locksmith shop to see what key it was used for. Still, shockingly the locksmith never saw that kind of key before she was moving to different locksmith shops, and no one has ever seen a key like it. Still, it turned out it was a key to open any door in the world. It would shrink or grow depending on the lock, but she never used it for any crimes. It was beneficial when she lost her key to the car or the house’s key. 

-Tyler Chung

She found a key in a drawer. It was ornate and made of silver, most likely made a very long time ago. Over the course of that evening, she tried to use it on various locks in the house, in hopes to find what the strange, silver key is supposed to go to. Not one of the locks opened. When she was about to call it a day, something caught the corner of her eye in the basement. It was a vibrantly decorated cardboard box with lots of glitter. On the side of the box were three words, written in permanent marker. The words read, ‘Here be Dragons’. The girl was confused, until something caught her eye. On the box, she noticed a padlock.”This MUST be what this key goes to!”, she thought. She turned the key and opened the box. Nothing happened. Then, suddenly, a beam of light burst from the open box. The light was so intense that the girl had to cover her eyes. When she looked back up, she saw something amazing. Dozens upon dozens of origami dragons fluttered around the room. They seemed to be animate, and flapped their paper wings with grace. When they noticed the girl, they flew back into the box, and retrieved a piece of paper. It was a note! The note read, “Greetings. It has been so long since we have last seen one of your kind. It seems that decades of us being separated from the world of imagination has dulled our form. Once before, we were proud dragons, but now we have been reduced to simple paper folds. It has been a pleasure to meet you. – The dragons”. The girl was confused. “Dragons? Why do we have a box of dragons?” She went to bed and dreamed about her encounter.

-Jayden Hendricks

-Victoria Payne