Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Farisi

Kathryn+Farisi

Kathryn Farisi

Alyssa Bobb, Former News Staff

Q: Why did you decide to pursue a career in education and what do you teach?

A: “I’ve taught science and math for 12 years and I have always felt a calling to be a teacher in some capacity. My Mom was a teacher for 35 years and I always remember, when I was little, going with her to work on teacher planning days and pretending to be a teacher.”

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go, why would you go here?

A: “I would go to Egypt to see the pyramids! I have always been fascinated by ancient Egyptian culture and would love to explore it in person!”

Q: Do you have any siblings or children? If so, how many?  anything unique about your personal life?  hobbies?

A: “I have one older brother who is a mechanical engineer in Orlando (he designs some of the parts for most of the NASA and SpaceX rockets and Mars rovers). No children just yet but I’d love to have some in the future! I got married at the Florida Aquarium in Tampa (we had penguins walk down the aisle!), I LOVE to bake, and I’m a super Harry Potter nerd!”

Q: If you could share one piece of advice, what would it be? Why would you want to share this piece of advice?

A: “If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always gotten. Sometimes we keep making the same mistakes expecting different results. Change leads to growth and you should never stop growing as a person.”

Q: Do you like to travel? What was one of your favorite vacations you took? Why was this a favorite?

A: “I love traveling! My favorite vacation was my honeymoon when my husband and I went all over Italy and Greece, with stopovers in Malta and Turkey. It was an amazing opportunity to experience different cultures and see the world through a different lens. Also, Italy = the best pasta in the world so it was a win-win no matter where we went!”

Q: If you could have any other job, what would it be? Why do you think you would enjoy working this job?

A: “I would open up my own bakery and make yummy breads, desserts, and pastries. I love creating something that brings joy to others.”

Q: Do you have a long-term plan for your career in teaching? Is there a goal that you plan to reach during this period of time? What is your goal and how will you achieve it?  Where else have you taught?

A: “I would eventually like to become a trainer at the district level so that I can work with other teachers through professional development. One of my passions is educational technology and I would love to help other teachers learn to use/work with programs that have been a game-changer for me in my classroom. To achieve this goal, I will continue to research and learn about new technologies that can help make the classroom a more engaging place for students and communicate with others in the field to learn more about possible areas of need. As for where else I have taught, I started in Broward County (Coral Springs area) and moved up to Tampa before relocating back to south Florida this year to work in Palm Beach County.”

Q: Are you native to Palm Beach County?  Where did you go to college?  Lived anywhere interesting?

A: “I’m actually native to Broward County and am a newbie to Palm Beach County. I’ve lived in South Florida for most of my life, only leaving for college when I attended the University of Central Florida (Go Knights!!!) and when I moved to Tampa with my husband.”