Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Hitchcock

Jessica+Hitchcock

Jessica Hitchcock

Emily Tabora, Editor

Q: Why did you decide to pursue a career in education?

A: “As a musician, I knew I wanted to be a teacher instead of a performer because teaching is sharing my God-given gifts while performing seemed to be more inwardly gratifying in my opinion.”

Q: What do you teach in education? Why did you decide to teach this over any other subjects? 

A: “I was recognized for my musical accomplishments from a very early age and there was no question as to what I would pursue when I graduated high school. ”

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go, why would you go here?

A: “I’ve always wanted to explore Iceland. The landscape is probably the farthest from Florida.”

Q: Do you have any siblings or children? If so, how many?

A: “I have one younger brother and two children of my own ages 1 and 4.”

Q: If you could share one piece of advice, what would it be? Why would you want to share this piece of advice?

A: “I actually just listened to a Brene Brown podcast on the “Advice Monster” we all carry inside and the bad advice we are capable of spreading by our own biases and prejudices so at the moment, I will plead the fifth!”

Q: What was one of your favorite vacations you took? Why was this a favorite?

A: “My honeymoon to Machu Picchu was by far the most thrilling and memorable trip of my life. Visiting a place with a language that isn’t my own at an altitude I’ve never had to traverse puts me out of my comfort zone which I’ve found is where I flourish and grow the most. ”

Q: If you could have any other job, what would it be? Why do you think you would enjoy working this job?
A: “I actually have followed my aspirations for another job to the field of fitness. My career as a Pilates, Yoga, and Barre instructor was energizing and gratifying but in the end, I came back to my first love: teaching in the classroom. ”

Q: Who do you think inspired/supported you during your career in the education department? How have they been supportive?
A: “My colleagues here at WLMS have been a blessing and have helped me grow personally and professionally. ”

Q: What/who inspired you to get involved in the teaching profession?
A: “My choral director and voice instructor at Dreyfoos School of the Arts, Arlene Sparks. ”

Q: Do you have a long term plan for your career in teaching? Is there a goal that you plan to reach during this period of time? What is your goal and how will you achieve it?
A: “I’ve already accomplished my goal of earning a Masters degree in Music Education so I think my next goal is to see my own two kids sitting in my music classroom. ”