Teacher Spotlight: Mrs. Hulse; Q&A

Jennifer Hulse

New Teacher Mrs. Hulse Sits in Car and Smiles for Picture

Soha Khan, Campus Life Editor

This year, WLMS is able to welcome Mrs. Hulse, one of our newest teachers. Mrs. Hulse teaches math and is able to make such a hard subject, easier and less stressful. Below, we asked Mrs. Hulse some personal questions, so that the rest of WLMS can get to know her better.

Q: What are some of your personal hobbies? What do you like to do in your free time?

A: I like reading fictional mystery novels and books on teaching mathematics. I also like to spend time at the pool or beach, crafting, and fostering kittens for Peggy Adams Animal Rescue.

Q: Tell us about something from your childhood, or your family.

A: I grew up in New Jersey and moved to Florida 19 years ago. I have 2 children and 2 pets. My mom is my best friend.

Q: Why did you decide to become a teacher?

A: As a child, I always played teacher but became interested in Accounting and Finance, so I began college with that as my major. There was a teacher shortage and a group came to my college and spoke to us about considering teaching. That’s when I realized that was my real dream and switched majors to mathematics and education.

Q: What is your favorite part of teaching an in-person class?

A: My favorite part of teaching in person is the interaction with the students. I enjoy joking around and really getting to see the kids and their faces (even with a mask on). I like it when I can see students work and hear them work together, it helps me to assess if they understand.

Q: Have you taught before WLMS? If so, where?

A: I taught in New Jersey for 6 years, then I taught at Lantana Middle for 12 years before working at the district on a grant. After the grant, I worked at Lake Worth Middle as a math coach for 4 years.

Q: What led you to choose Wellington Landings?

A: I came to Wellington Landings because my best friend Mr. Dorrian is a teacher here and he was my first best friend in Florida. We taught together for many years. We did fun team activities and competitions. We played practical jokes on each other. (Shhh…don’t tell him, I have something planned)

Q: What do you think is the most important thing when interacting with kids?

A: Liking kids! I genuinely like them and so being real with them and building relationships with them is important!