The ASL Club Featuring Miss Jennifer

Miss Jennifer, leader of ASL club

Miss Jennifer, leader of ASL club

Rihanna Irepa, Writer

The ASL Club is a Sign Language Club where all the students get to learn a new language that many people do not know or use.

Sign language is a system of communication using visual gestures, signs, and facial expressions. As said by Miss Jennifer “The Wellington Highschool ASL honor students are responsible for teaching the actual lesson. As a professional sign language interpreter, I just support and make sure that all the vocabulary is accurate.” The whole class is run by this group of students who are trying to spread the word of sign language. 

If you want to know more about Miss Jennifer she helps with everything, from making sure the Highschool students don’t make mistakes to ensuring that everyone can learn equally.  During an interview, Miss. Jennifer explains how much Sign Language means to her, and how she was introduced to the beauty of it. “ I feel like it was a gift from God. When I was young, I saw it at a stage performance and thought that person on stage was helping others understand what was happening on stage.  Later I learned, that person was interpreting for Deaf/Hard of Hearing people who speak in Sign Language. From that moment on, I knew that’s what I wanted to learn and it became my passion. After graduating high school I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do for a career right away. 

It wasn’t until a few years later and lots of encouragement from my friend, whose father worked at Miami Dade College, that I finally went to college and started to pursue becoming a Sign Language Interpreter myself.”