Grades Before Growth: Part 2 of A Shoutout to the Education System

200s Pod at Wellington Landings Middle School.

Soha Khan

200’s Pod at Wellington Landings Middle School.

Soha Khan, Editor

The grading system has been around for decades, yet most people rarely question its true purpose and impact on students. For the past years, our lives have revolved around our grades. Each assignment, essay, and homework due at 11:59 is purely motivated by the idea of keeping our GPA highest and preparing for our future.  

Both schools and parents have set necessary expectations on their student’s grades which can be justified. Grades teach the meaning of hard work, control, and management, yet many students grow to become obsessed with their grades, letting numbers determine their worth. This obsession with their grades serves as a form of validation, forcing students to dedicate their lives to their scores and averages. 

Parents do not seem to have much help in the matter either. Because the education system has created a structure where everything seemingly depends on grades, many parents put unbelievable amounts of pressure on their children to try to raise their academic placement. Many have described this as a feeling as parents caring more about grades than the learning and wellbeing of their children’s mental health. This also causes a large reliance on academic achievement for validation. 

The constant stress to have perfect grades can easily consume a person’s whole lifestyle and blind them from the real meaning of schoolwork. Schools set expectations but forget to enforce the true goal of fully grasping and learning information to help students in the future. 

The school system has unknowingly put an extra burden on students as so much of life heavily revolves around grades received during high school. Neither the development of a grading system nor the future revisions done to the system are to the benefit of student learning. Grades have primarily existed for the benefit of schools themselves to flaunt their high-ranking students, making them unnecessarily competitive. 

The grading system itself was not made with students in mind, yet students work excessively to maintain their grades because of the idea that their futures depend on their scores.