The Student News Site of Wellington Landings Middle School

Room for Debate: Should Sports be Gender Inferior?

April 27, 2022

This debate gives a perspective of both sides to the argument of whether or not gender plays a role in what sport a person is pressured to play.

Sports belong to everyone!

Men and women have the ability to do whatever they please to do, determining whether their good at it or not, isn’t up to gender. Why do people go so quick to judge when it comes to men and women being able to do the same things?

. . . men and women are capable of the same things, so it’s wrong for people to judge them off on what they were born as. ”

— Jacob Padilla

Some people may say that gymnastics isn’t a masculine sport and that it’s a “girly” sport. What people don’t realize is that gymnastics is a sport that requires strength, skill, and agility. So what’s the difference between gymnastics and basketball? People are so quick to underestimate sports and gender and don’t understand it until they put themselves in their shoes. It’s not going on with just men, women also get criticized for their enjoyment. People say that sports like football, basketball, and wrestling don’t belong to women, but how is their decision to say what someone can and can’t do?  

When you think about it, every sport requires the same thing, skill, strength, agility, and determination. Both men and women have those things, men and women are capable of the same things, so it’s wrong for people to judge them off on what they were born as. 

View 2 Comments

Stick to your Sport!

Nowadays sports are very stereotypical of gender. That’s one way to put it, but do we really wanna see a bunch of men in tight outfits flipping around?

Some sports are meant for women, and some sports are meant for men. Nowadays people are saying that everyone should be free to do any sport they want, which is true but don’t get mad if people don’t always support that. Most people don’t want to watch women playing football, some may say that football is a manly sport because it requires a lot of strength. This doesn’t just come from anywhere, it is scientifically proven that men are stronger than women.

. . . men should stick to sports that need strength, and women can do the fancy things.”

— Jacob Padilla

Matt Brzycki, from Princeton University, states, “the differences in strength between men and women appear to be in the volume of muscle fibers not in the makeup of individual fibers”. Men also have a significantly larger size of fiber muscles in their bodies. Women produce less testosterone, the primary muscle hormone, and develop less muscle mass than a man training with the same intensity. This just shows that men should stick to sports that need strength, and women can do the fancy things.

View 1 Comment

Gator Gazette • Copyright 2022 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in