Ms. Spalla, One of Our SUPERSTARRR, SS Teachers

Ms. Spalla with her boyfriend and her two puppies

BellaDonna Petersen, Editor

Below is a Q&A with one of our SS teachers, Ms. Spalla.

Q: Why did you choose to become a teacher?

A: My best friend inspired me to become a teacher. I’ve always loved social studies and was set on studying political science and law. However, she eventually convinced me that I would enjoy studying social science education more.

Q: How long have you been teaching?

A: This will be my first full year teaching. I came to WLMS  just before Spring break last school year.

Q: What is it like teaching middle schoolers?

A: Teaching middle schoolers means that every day is different from the last. It can sometimes be challenging- but it is truly a rewarding, fun experience.

Q: Why did you choose to come teach at Wellington Landings? 

A: My old mentor actually recommended WLMS to me. I was going to substitute around, but on my first day, I learned that there was an opening for a U.S. History teacher here at Landings. I took the chance and I am SO happy I did!

Q: How are you feeling about this school year? Why?

A:  I am feeling so optimistic about this school year! I can’t wait for us to teach more interesting things in U.S. history and work on fun projects. 

Q: What are your teaching strategies to help your students learn better?

A: An example of some of my teaching strategies would be the use of varying methods of delivery and activities to keep students engaged. I try to induce inquiry and conversation by cycling through the use of story-telling, the textbook, and different modes of technology like Nearpod and Lumio.

Q: What are your hobbies outside of school?

A: I love to be outdoors with my boyfriend and two dogs whenever I can. I also love to make all kinds of crafts- clay is my favorite to work with!

Q: Where did you grow up?

A: I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, Illinois, and then I moved to Marco Island, Florida when I was 11.

Q: Which college did you attend?

A: I got my bachelor’s degree from FAU and an associates from UCF in Orlando. Go, Knights!