Breaking News
  • March 27Welcome to the Wellington Landings online newspaper!
  • March 27Questions or opinions on an article? Comment them!
The Student News Site of Wellington Landings Middle School

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Florida Honors Jimmy Buffet by Naming Highway After Him

Florida road sign.
Credit: iStock
Florida road sign.

Jimmy Buffet was an iconic Florida singer who sadly passed away on December 1st, 2023 at the age of 76 years old. Jimmy Buffet wrote many songs and albums and he nAmed one of his albums, A1A in, honor of a coastal highway that goes through 340 miles of Florida. Now Florida is going to return the honor to Jimmy Buffet.

Highway A1A is going to be changed to the name of Jimmy Buffet Memorial Highway. Ron Desantis signed a bill to approve that the road will be named this. Jimmy Buffet loved the ocean and the people who decided to do this felt like there was no better way to honor him than to name a road right by the ocean that went through the Atlantic coastline after him. The road starts at Ferdinand Beach and goes through places like St. Augustine and goes all the way to Key West. This is also another reason this road was named after him because he loved Key West.

Now people can be taking the scenic route to the Keys while listening to Jimmy Buffet while on Jimmy Buffet Memorial Highway. This was a great idea and a great way to honor a terrific singer.