Breaking News
  • March 27Welcome to the Wellington Landings online newspaper!
  • March 27Questions or opinions on an article? Comment them!
The Student News Site of Wellington Landings Middle School

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

The NFL is Scripted

Football.
Davis P.
Football.

Is it just a coincidence that players have people run right through them, people fumbling at weird times for no reason, and a ton of more very odd plays that change games to get a certain team to win and draw more attention to the game to bring in more money for the NFL?

One example this year was Taylor Swift. She is one of the most popular people in the world, and this NFL season, she started dating Travis Kelce, who is a star tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs. Is it odd that this team went on to win the Super Bowl? I think so. The Chiefs had a losing record, and one of the worst starts to a season in years. However, if Taylor is there, then they draw in more views from people out of America and let the NFL sell a lot more merch because Taylor is all around gaining popularity. The Chiefs then went on to beat the best teams in the playoffs in some weird ways, like a missed kick and a fumble at the goal line. The NFL wanted Taylor and the Chiefs in the Superbowl, and the Super Bowl brought in 123.4 million viewers. The Chiefs and the NFL gained a lot more fans because of Taylor.

Taylor Swift this year is not the only example. There were plays where, for example, Patrick Mahomes was running versus the Dolphins in the playoffs and went right through two people, and they didn’t even try to get him. There was a play where a player on defense had just him and the quarterback, and instead of tackling him, he ran and tackled a blocker. 

Odd things like these happen all the time, but I think they are not a coincidence, and the NFL is scripted for views, fans, money, and more reasons.