Breaking News
  • March 27Welcome to the Wellington Landings online newspaper!
  • March 27Questions or opinions on an article? Comment them!
The Student News Site of Wellington Landings Middle School

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Toddlers Make Appearances in Colleges in Free Childcare Programs

Toddler-related items such as childrens books, toys, and elementary school yearbooks.
Annabelle C.
Toddler-related items such as children’s books, toys, and elementary school yearbooks.

In the United States, four million college students have children, and balancing demanding classes with a demanding child is challenging. However, Head Start is working to reduce students’ childcare stress.

The Head Start program provides aid and supportive services to families with children ages newborn to five and to currently pregnant mothers as well. It fosters young children’s growth and provides free childcare to low-income families in times of need. Nationwide, it has around 16,000 centers and currently 100 centers in colleges. Not to mention, adding Head Start centers to education facilities is a win for everyone. It provides convenience to struggling parents, more jobs, and a greater likelihood of more students applying to the participating colleges.

With the cost of living continuing to go up and the number of childcare employees experiencing a shortage, Head Start offers a direct learning experience and job opportunities for young adults and older adults alike. Many students whose colleges host a Head Start center choose to work there after getting their degree, as they’ve had personal experience with the field.

The centers don’t only benefit the students, though. They also help the young toddlers and babies. Preparing them to go to school in the future, teaching them how to be kind to peers and teachers, and showing them positive role models just scratch the surface of what these cost-conscious classrooms can do for every family in need.