Breaking News
  • March 27Welcome to the Wellington Landings online newspaper!
  • March 27Questions or opinions on an article? Comment them!
The Student News Site of Wellington Landings Middle School

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Iceland’s Volcanic Eruptions Worsen, Causing Evacuation

cnn.com
Sky photo of the volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Iceland is home to 32 active volcanoes, but a December eruption near the town of Grindavik has topped the charts as one of their biggest explosions yet.

Luckily, the eruption has not been seen as a threat to human life as long as evacuation precautions (which have reached three weeks or more) are taken, but the land is struggling. Lots of wilderness has been set ablaze, four kilometers of land has been cracked, and multiple houses have been burned down. The explosion took place around 8:00 A.M., but the locals had left before then due to previous warnings for high seismic activity and another eruption earlier in the month.

While these occurrences are common for Icelandic residents, the situation has been clearly getting worse. Those who’ve lived in Iceland for a while are no strangers to volcanoes; typically, there’s an eruption every five years. However, with climate change on the rise faster than ever, there have been multiple in 2023 and more predicted for 2024. Their government has installed lava-blocking barriers, but these soon will not be enough.

View Comments (2)