Breaking News
  • March 27Welcome to the Wellington Landings online newspaper!
  • March 27Questions or opinions on an article? Comment them!
The Student News Site of Wellington Landings Middle School

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Gator Gazette

Student Protests Take Over Some Campuses, but at Others, Attention is Elsewhere

Picture of a school protest
Jay Janner/USA Today Network
Picture of a school protest

Last week, Boston College students staged a protest against the Israel-Hamas war. Bullhorns were banned to prevent disruptions for students preparing for finals. Tents were also banned, and students with prior arrests at other Boston campus protests were not allowed to participate. After the selected hour, the students peacefully separated and returned to their rooms.

Since police first tried to dismantle an encampment at Columbia University in New York nearly two weeks ago, a wave of student protests has spread across the country. Despite the fiery and dramatic arrests at renowned campuses in New York to Los Angeles, millions of students nationwide have actively pursued their education, socialized, and prepared for exams as part of their daily routines.

The protests in 2024 are shedding light on substantial differences among Americans, even among groups that have traditionally united during turbulent times such as the 1960s. Boston, a city closely linked with American higher education, provides insight into the diverse reactions of student bodies to the Israel-Hamas war, demonstrating a wide range of perspectives.